Students leave Sterling College with an in-depth understanding of environmental stewardship and a profound sense of social responsibility. They know what hard work is, and they bring that knowledge to future employers. Further, they’ve learned the value of community, and appreciate the relationships between people and the environment. These traits—sorely needed today—are increasingly rare in our society. A gift to Sterling is an investment in the world we all want for future generations. Every gift counts, every gift is important, and every gift moves us all toward a better future.
Giving to Sterling on-line is easy and secure—simply use the donation button below.
Gifts in Memoriam or Celebration
In moments of joy, gratitude, or sadness, we often search for the right way to commemorate or honor a special person. Sterling College welcomes gifts made in memory of, or in honor of individuals. You can make your gift online now, and indicate on the form whose memory you would like to honor with your donation.
Thomas Nathan Garnish '95
Thomas Nathan Garnish passed away peacefully at home on May 11, 2013, after a long, valiant fight with pulmonary fibrosis.
He attended Sterling College from 1993-1995 and earned his Associate of Arts degree in Resource Management. He then went on to study boatbuilding at The Landing School of Boatbuilding and Design in Arundel, Maine.
The following is a statement Tom sent to Sterling last year. “Hello everyone in the class of ‘95, just a quick note to get myself off of the ‘lost’ alumni list. I always knew where I was. Right now I am building wooden boats for Devlin Designing Boat Builders in Olympia, WA. I moved here in late December from Maine and love it, but I must admit I do miss the northeast. I hope everyone is happy and well."
A dear friend of his, Bob Gould ’95, contacted Sterling shortly after Tom passed away. He wrote that he and fellow Sterling classmates were deeply saddened to learn of Tom's recent passing. They will be donating in Tom's memory and they invite all of Tom's friends and classmates to do the same.
Support Sterling College and Our Mission
Join us! Anyone can be a philanthropist, and each donor is special to Sterling College. Gifts both large and small go right to work for our students and our mission. The following are the many ways you can support Sterling:
- Cash: Send your check, payable to Sterling College, to Development Office Sterling College Craftsbury Common, VT 05827. Or you can make larger gifts over time through regular transactions to your credit card, which we can process with your permission.
- Pledge: Make a commitment to give larger amounts over time.
- Planned Gifts: Bequests, life insurance, charitable remainder funds and other such gifts are relatively easy to arrange and very thoughtful. Contact your financial advisor or Sterling’s Development Office for more information.
- Securities: Gifts of appreciated or depreciated stock usually offer tax benefits to the donor and are beneficial to the College as well.
- Restricted gifts are those which the donor signifies in advance to support a specific aspect of need.
- Unrestricted gifts are most useful, and are used in areas of current greatest need as deemed by the College.
- Endowed scholarships ($50,000 or more) can be honored with a naming opportunity.
- Named prizes or honorariums ($10,000 or more) can be similarly honored.
- Tangible property, real estate, and gifts-in-kind: Items such as art objects of museum quality or for classroom use may be deductible. Services and assistance provided free of charge may qualify for a tax-deductible receipt. Outright gifts of real estate require a bit more planning. Contact the Development Office for more information on these gifts.
- Matching funds: Many employers will match your contribution and that increases your impact. Contact your employer’s human resources office to see if your donation qualifies. Or, contact the Sterling College Development Office.
- And as always—your referral of prospective students is appreciated.
Thank you for your support of Sterling College, our students, and our mission.
Please contact us if you have any questions. For details on making a gift or to learn about current areas of need please contact:
@sterlingcollege.edu Tel: 802.586.7711 ext. 111