Earn Sterling College Credits with Kroka!
Participants in Kroka Semester Programs can earn 16 credits towards a degree at Sterling College.
Sterling College and Kroka Expeditions both believe in the power of experiential education. Kroka is also a non-profit wilderness expedition school and year-round farm based in Marlow, New Hampshire. They believe that the consciousness and altruistic will can be brought forward through a living relationship with the natural world and by taking our places within the circle of community. The connections between our organizations are many.
Participants in the Kroka Ecuador and Winter Semester Program have the opportunity to apply to become Sterling students so that they not only earn credit for their semester but can then enroll in Sterling College in the following semester and pursue their BA degree.
Here’s how it works:
- Apply for the a Semester Program with Kroka Expeditions.
- Indicate in your application process that you would like to earn Sterling College credit while in the Kroka Semester.
- After you’ve been accepted to the Kroka program, you may contact the Sterling College Admission office to let us know that you’d like to apply. Kroka students will benefit from an expedited application process though you may still need to provide information, write an essay and be interviewed by Admission.
- Students seeking financial aid for the Kroka Semester program must be high school graduates, submit a FAFSA, and be determined eligible by Sterling’s Admission Office. To pursue this option, students will first register (and pay a $2,000 deposit) to Kroka Expeditions. The student will then continue the federal FAFSA financial aid application process with the support of the Director of Financial Aid at Sterling College. If you are successfully granted an award, you will make all remaining tuition payments directly to Sterling College. Students receiving federal financial aid will not be eligible for additional financial aid from Kroka.
- Sterling College will inform you if you’ve been accepted as a student and will clarify your financial aid package if applicable.
- While in on the Kroka Semester, you will be expected to compile a portfolio of work that illustrates you learning, along with a written narrative that reflects on what the portfolio shows.
- Submit your portfolio the Program Director and Kroka Expeditions will assign a grade for you
- Passing grades in all of the four program modules will earn you 16 credits
- You will be prompted to enroll in Sterling College for the following semester, assigned a Faculty Advisor and invited to take part in all that Sterling offers including, but not limited to, our Global Field Studies, Integrated Farming Practicum and the scheduled Intensive and Long Block courses that are available.
Have questions? We thought you might. Don’t worry!
Recent Alum, Ezra Fradkin ’16, waxed poetic about the Sterling and KROKA connection while he was still here studying and you can read more about that here. Wouldn’t you know that he graduated Sterling only to join the Kroka Team as a Program Coordinator?
This is an exciting partnership that brings two dedicated, heart-centered organizations together. We hope you apply for the semester program, we hope you apply at Sterling and we’re standing by to answer any questions that you might have.