Educational Farm & Garden Management
with Philip Ackerman-Leist
Registration opening soon!
If the tasks of raising healthy food aren’t daunting enough, educational farm and garden managers are also tasked with germinating successful educational programs, raising infrastructure, caring for staff, growing budgets, cultivating boards, and building community. Few jobs demand such a diverse array of skills, and few persons have the background or training to perform each of those tasks well, much less do them all almost simultaneously.
Educational Farm and Garden Management offers persons in those roles to pursue new skill sets and round out their professional portfolios with the support of instructors experienced in the challenges of such a demanding profession. Should you be looking to enter this professional field or be seeking advancement, this course will aid you in developing the competencies and knowledge you need to succeed through an intensive cohort-based program.
With two four-day residencies and six months of cohort-based online learning, this program is optimized to provide engaging interaction with instructors and peers, the flexibility of online education, and an enduring professional network for years to come.
WHO IS THIS CLASS FOR?
This Professional Certificate program is designed specifically for persons managing educational farms and gardens of all types and scales. Managers of all types of educational farms and gardens will benefit, including but not limited to the following types of operations:
- College and university farms
- Community farms and gardens
- Living history museums
- School farms and gardens
- Therapeutic farms
- Specialized training farms
- Social care farms
- Seed-saving farms
- Permaculture farms and gardens
- Religious/Spiritually-based farms
- Summer camp farms and gardens
- Food security farms
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- Two (2) four-day residencies held at Sterling College in April and October. Students may enroll in an April-October cohort or an October-April cohort.
- Online workshops and discussion forums in the six-month online certificate coursework. Most online engagement is asynchronous, meaning that students have flexibility in completing their work, as long as the stated deadlines are met.
- Monthly 90-minute webinars with experts and monthly two-hour guided group discussion online.
- Applied project developed in the first month and completed by the last month of the program. This project will focus on a challenge or initiative related to the student’s employment or professional aspirations.
- Professional presentation of the applied project at the culminating residency for the six-month program.
- $250 value book bundle of your choice from a selection of books from Chelsea Green Publishing and the School of the New American Farmstead.
Intermediate to Advanced. This course is often considered a professional development opportunity to those who work on the educational farms and gardens.
There is no formal prerequisite required for this course. In order to gain the full value of the class, students should come having worked a minimum of one season on an educational farm or garden.
- Tuition for this certificate is $6,500.00. This comprehensive fee includes coursework (both online and onsite), hands-on workshops, professional portfolio assessment, lodging during the onsite residencies, transportation to and from field trips sites, all meals during residencies, and a $250 value book bundle of your choice.
- A minimum of 6 enrollments are required for the course to be held.
- A non-refundable deposit of 20% of the tuition may be made in order to reserve your seat in a course at any time until the full tuition due date, at which time full tuition will be due to reserve a seat in the course.
- Tuition is due to be paid in full 30 days before the course start date.
- A late fee of $50 will be applied in the case of payments made past the full tuition due date.
- In the case of course cancellation by the institution, deposits will be returned. Course fees beyond the non-refundable minimum deposit are refundable for cancellations up to 30 days before the course start date. Please contact your course coordinator for cancellations after that date.
Registration opening soon!